Monday, August 11, 2014

Thailand week two

Two weeks in; our physical and mental state

Sam…

              I will start by saying that I had been struggling adjusting to the 11 hour time difference quite a bit. Between having trouble staying awake during the day and sleeping through the night I had trouble getting any real restful sleep . Thankfully with the help of some melatonin I was able to catch some great sleep and am feeling great now. With that being said, mentally I was quite tired and scattered brained, but still loving every moment and trying to soak in everything. I will admit the island life style has definitely taken away all stressors in my life and for the first time in a while I feel like I am able to fully relax. Being around the Thai people is a great change of pace from back home (no offense). Everyone’s laid back attitude is starting to rub off on me, I find myself just going with the flow not worrying and feeling anxious about small trivial things.


            With a lack of sleep also comes some physical fatigue. Let me not forget to mention that I took some time off of training before this trip, which clearly was a bad idea. I feel a bit out of shape and find it hard to make it to both the morning session and afternoon session without paying for it big time the next day. I am hoping that I am more able to recover and push myself a bit harder once I can find a way to get restful, restorative sleep. Besides fatigue I have suffered quite a few large bruises down my legs from sparring and techniques, which is putting a damper in my stride (literally). I have always bruised easily, but after getting bruises under bruises and then kicked numerous times on the exact spot where I have those bruises... I am finding it hard to walk. So I took the night off training and am hoping my legs want to function enough to at least work some boxing tomorrow at training. (I will be avoiding leg kicks and checks at all costs). After getting rest and a couple days off things feel great and physically I am ready to learn some new things.
One really great thing about the training here is that the instructors are amazingly understanding of injuries and fatigue. Yes, they will push you and test you while teaching you to become a better fighter, but if you are hurt they will also take it easy with you and work on techniques that don’t require you to overexert yourself. I love the way training is here. Every trainer has their own strengths and focuses on something different from the next. One trainer loves to work on pure power and boxing, while another works only on technique and meticulously picks apart each movement. Then the head trainer Mon, he has taught me so much about the fighting mentality and how to put it all together. He’s somewhat of an unintentional perfectionist, he will show you the same technique a hundred times until you understand each movement and thought that goes along with it. But most importantly he has taught me that fighting is about seeing what your opponent is doing, not thinking about what you’re going to do.  


Paul…
        Adjusting to the time difference came a bit easier to me than Sam. I have been able to sleep throughout the night, with the exception of barking at 3AM by a dog that sleeps on our patio. Quality of sleep has been much better than back at home, all of the distractions during everyday life in the states are draining. Life is much slower here and I swear no one wakes up before 10AM. Food has been very addicting and delicious. The vegetables and fruit don't even compare to what we are used to... in a good way.. they don't use the word organic here, you can taste that it's almost straight off the vine. 

        Training is not only high quality, but being able to do it 6 hours a day 6 days a week is the main difference from training in the states. I cannot imagine having to work or be in school and train how the fighters do here. All of the available hours not spent in the gym you want to use to recover. Every trainer in the camp has their own style, it could be frustrating if they contradict each other, but being a fighter you should know that you create your own unique style. Take what fits you and make it your own. I have a trainer that kills me on the pads till I want to collapse, a trainer who breaks down my technique centimeter by centimeter (yes.. not inch by inch..), and a trainer who basically fights me with the pads. All serve a purpose and have been critical in me improving my overall fight game and toughness. The mental aspect of training has been definitely the biggest obstacle, we can spend a full hour on something I am not understanding at all, but the trainer will never get frustrated with you (at least at Team Diamond). Their smile is always "ON" and it's contagious.


The battle has been within myself, seeing how well trained and perfected their technique is, has made me think “Do I even belong to fight in the ring with the Thais?” I’ve humbled myself, but also have to be realistic and confident. I know my movement and fitness is superior, using this will be critical in standing toe to toe with these guys. Hopefully next week I will have post in regards to my fighting experience in Thailand. Oh, and staying hydrated is something I've never struggled with, with the heat and humidity cramps are almost as bad as the Thai leg kicks on your hamstrings. Make sure to drink your electrolytes! 

Follow us on facebook and Youtube for current blog posts and updates:
FightLoveLift Youtube Channel

-Written by Samantha Abrams & Paul Banasiak

No comments:

Post a Comment